Sep 12, 2017

Acknowledging the acknowledgement

I grew up in mid 20th century Minnesota (culturally very Scandinavian and German -- in case you've never listened to Garrison Keillor who mostly got it right -- this was the stew in which I cooked my Anglo-Saxon-Norman dna). That means I am more prone than not to reserve, self-deprecation and the avoidance of self-promotion or the elevation of self-interest above all else, the latter of which sometimes appears to be the motto of, if not the state of FL, at least the tri-county area of southern FL. That lead-in is, of course, a set-up for self-promotion. 

After 324 posts, 5 followers, and a year and a half of time, I finally got a little validation which looked like this:



That should be random but I guess it's really not.  Those two guys I have actually been following pretty closely for a couple years. Both seem to get the modern financial landscape in ways that a traditionalist might not yet fully embrace.  The Hoffstein (NewFound Research) validation in particular I appreciated because he describes one of his approaches in ways that resonate eerily with the main alt strategy I have pursued since ~2011.  I can't speak for him but what I try to do for myself is marry an essential and assertive commitment to traditional financial theory (no tea leaves for me) with a thoroughly modern view of classical and alternative risk premia and their behaviors.  That means in my case I use a base of collateral yield with a fairly aggressive interpretation of credit risk on which I stack whatever evidence based risk premia fit my capabilities to capture through systematic rules-based adaptive methodologies (think fixed income momentum, volatility risk premium, functionally informed equity risk, etc.)  This has produced almost four years of extremely efficient risk-adjusted returns any way it is measured. I have to presume he seeks to do something similar. Someday I will ask.  ReSolve (Butler @GestaltU), for its part, if you look closely, appears like it is playing the same game. In addition, both, if I recall correctly, comprehend that we do not live in a single-period universe with no consumption.  That's a bigger story but has profound implications for decumulation strategies and retirement which is important because not everyone is an institution with an infinite "single-period" horizon and no spending.

So, validation and acknowledgement appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment