Jul 31, 2018

On sloppiness v accountability

I was reading an article on golf in the weekend version of the WSJ and ran across this quote:
"I don't see the point of hitting a golf shot in practice without being accountable, given that every shot in competition, you're accountable in a round...as a behavior, it doesn't make sense to me."
This made me think of two things.  First, I was thinking that I generally feel like I am often in practice mode here at RH. I cut corners, I estimate, I get sloppy, I hack, I fudge, I elide, I leap to conclusions. etc etc. 

Then, the other thought I have is that it doesn't matter because the one thing that I am here is "accountable." For all the sloppiness and elisions there is no point at which I am not 100% accountable to my family and my future self.  The stakes and consequences for understanding what I try to figure out here could not be higher.   The work I do here may not matter to the world at large but it matters one hell of a lot to a few real people here in south Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment