Jul 16, 2018

A Compendium of my "Wealth Depletion Time" Posts

I've been through a longish journey this year on the math and simulation of the lifecycle economics idea related to the "expected discounted utility of lifetime consumption" [in the presence of the potential for a period of time where wealth is depleted before the end of a (random) lifetime and where spending would then "snap" to available income].  The journey is not over since I will be successfully getting my software back from the Geeksquad after a 6 week wait for a recovered hard drive...and I have some ideas for next analysis.  In the mean time, let me summarize what I have so far.  I'm surprised by how the ending is not so different from what I hypothesized at the beginning. I'll attribute the whole effort to a reading of some work by Prof. Milevsky who emphasized both the importance and subtleties related to understanding the concept. I'm more or less glad I went down the path.  The effort has helped me "see" retirement finance in a way that I consider either comprehensive or integrative or both.  That was one of my goals for years.

The beginning

The (current) end

Interim posts


No comments:

Post a Comment