Jun 15, 2018

You are probably trying too hard

In response to my hard drive crash post, I had this:
AnonymousJune 15, 2018 at 8:22 AMyou are probably trying too hard.

In response to which I thought the following:

I've never known what this kind of thing means. It reminds me of my last two girlfriends, both of whom often used the "you're over-thinking things" phrase more often than I thought was necessary. Neither of those people I found very helpful in the long run and both led me to a distaste for the comment on overthinking. And neither one is here anymore...

For that reason, I at first thought I would maybe curse "anonymous" with a hard drive crash on something important to them. That'd teach him/her, right? And it might even be satisfying. Then I thought: no, wait, let's reinterpret this comment. So, my recast of the anonymous comment is to "keep things simple" (this is the proper English translation of "don't try too hard"). That is in effect my new path anyway given recent experience and common sense.  So that means that Anonymous' words are now redundant with how the arc of my life is moving anyway; whether the impetus comes from him/her or me the message and call to action are pretty consistent: "simple" is accretive to anti-fragile...which is where we all want to be.  It's just that saying "you are trying too hard" is the wrong way to phrase it and less constructive than it needs to be though my response to the response does, in fact, seem to confirm his/her judgement about me...because here I am doing what s/he says I'm doing...again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment