Oct 26, 2018

Vol premium looks fat today

If I had courage I would sell vol today.  Here is a (custom hack) chart I use to look at the futures options market, this time for ES mini -- something I don't usually trade -- for Nov expiration or 21 days. 

The red line is a normal distribution (density) using price, vol and tenure. The blue line is a self-rolled function of premium that approximates what I call option price "intensity" that shows me skew and opportunity to sell volatility.  Green is delta. Blue columns are the current premium at the avg of bid/ask. The vertical dotted lines are the 1 and 2 standard deviation markers of the red line. This shows me that I could get $550 for something that is at a 10 delta and more than 2 standard deviations outside a normal distribution. I think that is a good deal. Takes courage though.


Someone talk me into it. Not sure I have the courage. This should be a no-brainer but isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment