Mar 18, 2018

The power and glory of a single word

I've been a parent for 21 years and change.  For most of that time I was all-in or "lean-ed in" in ways that even Sheryl Sandberg would never understand because our current culture radically and willfully and self-blindingly misunderstands the subtleties and essential-ness and power, not to mention the costs and consequences, of all-in male care giving.  That kind of total attention over that much time, however, is not without its side effects.  Not more than 15 minutes ago I was unloading my weekly groceries.  My neighbor and his son were raking or working on their lawn…maybe 20 yards away.  I am not habituated to the male-child voice, having been blessed with the grace of three perfect daughters. All my neighbor's son had to do was say the word "dad," almost under his breath; I could barely hear it. In slow-motion time, like in a movie, I could feel every single muscle in my torso, reflexively and without my consent or direct ratiocination but with my utter and complete awareness, contract and twist towards the word.  


No comments:

Post a Comment