Mar 18, 2018

My Drowning Man Story -- and a recipe


The smallest guarantee, the straw at which the drowning man grasps is remembrance.

                                                                                        – Walter Benjamin

Sometime in my 50th year, somewhere in the middle of 2008 -- the “crash” year, though I have to admit that at that precise point in ’08 I had not the slightest clue about the real crashes yet to come -- I lost my desire to cook.  Not lost really, maybe “taken away” is a better way to say it.  And it was not taken quickly, like a punch to the stomach might take one’s breath away with one sharp blow to the gut, but more gradually, in increments, like cold, deep water would do it if one happened to be drowning in the middle of an ocean with the choking waves competing for a share of one’s breath and relentlessly tugging at what’s left of what would be now near-frozen human energy. You know how it goes: once, twice, then a final third.  Bye-bye.


Well now, this language is a little over the top isn’t it? Of course it is.  But anyone who has cooked for kids and has slogged through the pickiness and the rejections, the mono-chromatic choices and the spills, the fights and the wasted food and, not least, the veggie-hate…anyone that has been in that trench, to thoroughly mix my metaphors, knows that there is no small amount of ambivalence and a slow drowning kind of loss in trying to create good healthy food for anyone under around the age of 12.   This tension between subject-caring and object-incomprehension and the ambivalence about wanting to do the right thing for the right reasons contrasted against the near-total foreknowledge of the recipient’s lack of interest in, or understanding of, what you are trying to do is sometimes the hardest part of cooking for this type of audience.

But that’s not really what I’m thinking about here is it? No, what I’m thinking about here happens in those other idle moments, when I have nothing better to do, when I reflect, in general, on this strange kind of ambivalence about caring and incomprehension. When I do this I’m forced by a trick of associative memory to recall a moment in 2001 when I happened to pull a drowning kid out of a pool. Well, not really a kid, let’s be more accurate. Let’s call him 180 pounds of dense-packed adolescent muscle instead.  Swimming with my daughter, then about four or so, at a YWCA pool in St. Paul in the winter, we had been alone in our weekly ritual of swimming – here we dive for rings, there we jump off the side of the pool, now we swim a bit, then we repeat to infinity…or at least dinner time. 

That afternoon, though, the pool was unexpectedly invaded by a group of loud teens who proceeded to irritate us by throwing balls too close to our heads, by cannon-balling nearly on top of us, and in a couple cases by pretending to drown just for the juvenile laughs that no-one else found funny.  Un-amused by this aggression and stupidity, we moved to the deep end to buy ourselves some peace.  So when one of the boys found his way next to us in the deep water and mumbled “help” as his head went down, I was even more irritated than I had been in the shallow end.  There seemed to be no escape from these ignorant kids and having been a swimmer for so many years – competitively for eight -- I deeply disliked jokes about drowning which is what I thought he was doing here.  When he went down the second time it still seemed like a very bad joke to my rational conscious brain but my subconscious started to wince just a teeny-tiny bit and time started to slow down by maybe just a half-beat because I began to realize something didn’t feel quite as right as it should have. When he went down for the third time, more or less exactly like the cliché says it is supposed to happen, time started to crawl to a near-stop as it finally dawned on me that yes he was, in fact, drowning…for real.  I glanced around me and for some reason life started to look like one of those movies where the sound mutes almost but not quite completely, a tin-cup over the ears kind of thing, and the slow motion cinematography with amber hues kicks in.

And now, looking back from today, this is what I see through the lens of my muted, tin-eared, slow-motion, amber memory of that moment: I see the lifeguard reading her book with one leg up on the arm of the chair at the far end of the pool; I see the teenage “toughs” messing around on the deck, silhouetted in the winter light coming through the steamed but frigid floor-to-ceiling windows; I see a couple teenage girls in strangely outdated bathing caps, mouths mutely agape, splashing each other in the shallow end; I see my daughter’s silent irritation at my sudden inattention.  I could also see, in that strange silent moment, that not a single person in the entire pool room realized that this boy was drowning – not a single person, that is, except me.  No one had any clue what was happening and I realized in that precise moment in time and in that exact place that no one except me could do anything about what was unfolding right in front of my eyes. 

With vocal cords trembling, I commanded (though commanding with trembling vocal cords is perhaps a bit of an oxymoron) my daughter to go to the edge of the pool.  I took one really big breath, and then I went down…for him.  And, of course, in that one little bitty ill-advised move I made the most classic and most foolish of all underwater rescue mistakes. I went in from the front.  When I reached for him -- down probably a couple feet at that point -- he did what all drowning men do: grasp for straws. The straw in this case was my neck. And then me, my neck, and 180 pounds of dense, non-buoyant, grasping, clinging, hard, urban muscle went, not up (no, not up!), but down into the deep water.  If time had slowed to a crawl before, it now stopped absolutely dead-flat-cold.  And I remember in that time-stilled “non-moment” looking up, through my still-un-torn-off goggles, and seeing the under-surface of the water -- which, when not drowning, can be a beautiful shimmering-shifting-undulating-silver-textured-mirror kind of thing (which it still was), now about 4 or 5 feet away – and I thought about how far away it looked; so far in fact that it could have been on the other side of the universe at that point.  I also remember thinking that this must be what it looks like right before you drown and in that silent non-moment I froze, totally paralyzed with fear and cognitive impotence. Froze…and then, I unfroze.  Through some type of grace, for which I am now quite and eternally grateful, the moment passed and I fought my way outside his grasp and, with the boy in the tow of my arm, swam back hard to the surface dragging him to the gutter-edge of the pool.

And then, surprisingly to me, it wasn’t over.  It got even harder as if the near-drowning was merely the appetizer to an indigestible multicourse meal.  A million years had seemed to pass for me in what was probably less than a minute but no one could yet see us or understand what was happening; no time had passed in the real world while we had been struggling below. The guard was still reading her book. The toughs were still horsing around by the windows. The girls were still splashing in their crazy 1950s-style swim caps.  And me? I was still fighting with uncomprehending and very heavy flesh; I could not get him out of the water.  Each time I pushed him to the edge, the gutter, he would not take it and he would slip back below the surface.  I tried three more times and then I had to hold him while I climbed out of the pool, one hand around his wrist, to pull him onto the deck -- my feet slipping on the tiles against the weight of this huge, dense kid.  When I finally (finally!) had him up on the floor, a few of the other youths finally looked over but returned to their games without comprehending or speaking and the guard, having taken a break in her reading, waddled over and politely asked if she could do anything to help. So politely she asked to help!  And then, for reasons that still, to this day, elude me she went back to read.  After that gross improbability, after the two of us lay on the deck catching our breath for a few minutes (he was ok), no one said a single word. Not the guard, not the other kids, not even the boy.  I don’t know if it was incomprehension or embarrassment or even some type of resentment or fear that I did not fully understand. It was over and everyone went back to what they were doing.  At that point all I could hear -- the movie-sound-track in my head having been turned back on to loud at this point -- were the heated demands of my daughter to play, she being disappointed that I had been distracted for those million years (it couldn’t have been more than two minutes, could it?) it had taken me to pull a kid from 5 or 6 feet under water to the deck of the pool.    We tried to play for a few more minutes but my stomach hurt and I took her home quickly and quietly -- without looking back once at the horsing and splashing and reading people who had had no voice or hands to help.

And how do I feel about that incident now?  Scroll back up for a second to where I started with “…pull a drowning kid out of a pool…”  Sounds heroic doesn’t it? Or brave, right? But that’s not what I remember at all.  What I remember is not some kind of puffed up TV-style bravery thing but rather the resentment (resentment!?!) I felt not only at the joking around before something really, really bad happened but also at being the only one there to solve the problem.  In an odd, embarrassing way, I resented being obligated or forced, rather than allowed to choose, to put myself at risk for another person.  I hated it at the time and I feel quite ashamed about it now.  I also, more than anything else at all, remember being really, really scared, especially as I looked up at the underside of the pool’s surface wondering how -- or if -- I could get there. And fear is not really the right sentiment; I doubt there is a single word in English for what I really felt at that exact moment five feet down.  It was more terror and calmness, resignation and anger, passivity and desire for breath, and a strange kind of wonder all wrapped up into one incoherent, emotional instant.  So: resentment, shame, terror, calmness, resignation, anger, passivity, and wonder?  Really? That’s not what it’s supposed to feel like, is it? And then, of course, I also remember the sheepish awkwardness and silence of everyone else in the room who finally figured out what had happened.  It was almost as if, in the end, no one really cared or, if they did, the sooner they could look away and move on to things that they could understand, things they did in “ordinary” time, the better.

But let’s take a break here.  This, the drowning man story, though true, started only as an awkward way of creating an imperfect metaphor around cooking for kids and the sometime ambivalence that goes into it and the sometime counter-flow of the drowning waters and heavy neck-clutching weight of all the hard stuff in life that can work against doing the right thing.  The metaphor is imperfect of course because, unlike my kids, I did not really love that boy...and my children are not drowning...and I still cook.  On the other hand, the story maybe really was about trying to do the right thing and the weird, mixed bag of emotions that can come from that effort even in the face of some really hard stuff.  Really weird emotions.  But, I do cook still. I do it because it’s good and right and it’s care and ritual and I love them and they need it.  Do they appreciate it? Who cares? They’re kids.  Time to jump and swim and dive, right?


Dad’s Banana Bread

1 cup               Sugar
1 stick              unsalted butter
2                      eggs
2 cups              flour
1 tsp                baking soda, baking powder, salt
3                      ripe bananas
1 tbs                milk (subst. heavy cream)
½ cup              mini choc chips (subst. dark cocoa chips)
~                      turbinado sugar
~                      vanilla


pre-heat oven to 325
mix sugar and warmed butter with elec beater
mix in 2 eggs
mix dry ingredients
mash bananas with milk
mix banana mixture, creamed sugar, choc chips, vanilla
pour into buttered baking pan
sprinkle sugar on top
bake 1:10
rest :15
remove

No comments:

Post a Comment