May 28, 2022

My Horizon Spending

This is the last post of 3 part series.  The previous two were on long-horizon spending, the first one was about a kind of an endowment-ish thing that looked at spend distribution "medians" at the 50 year mark and the second was a consumption utility framework for what I'll call "very very long retirement:" This post, however, is all about me. Dang, I feel like an Instagram model when I say that ;-) but thankfully you will not be subjected to 10,000 pictures of nothing but selfies of me in a bikini. We'll leave that to our nightmares. What I will do is adapt my software -- this is, I think, the fourth consumption utility sim I've written [1] -- to my own personal parameters to see where it goes with my data in the context of what I have done before in at least the last couple of posts. Again, no charts, just some basic spend rates if I can get away with it. 

The adaptation I am thinking about includes the following assumptions: 
  • Start at age 63 rather than 50 or 70. I turn 64 soon but let's not rush things
  • Use a longevity distribution more aligned with an actuarial table for a long lived me
  • Look at both constant and adaptive (%P) spend methods where constant is new here
  • Look at the parameters from the last post and N[4/12] in particular, for reasons....
  • Use a risk aversion coefficient = 2. That is "my RA" but only because it seems to pop up as close to something that works for me in the past. I have no real other rationale for "2" which one has to recognize as a bit bogus both here and in general. 
  • I'll throw in my rule of thumb I call RH40 for good measure
  • 50-150k iterations, depending...
  • The actuarial sum(tPx) for x=63 and m/b = 90/9.5 means T(x)~24, so let's call it about age 87 for my mean age of demise. AAcalc.com puts the mean at 24.26 for my age (and a healthy cohort) so I don't feel like a total dork with this calculation.   
Otherwise in this post we can borrow wholesale from the assumptions in the two links above without any effort to document them here. Yes, you might have to go back and read... We are still using the value function from before.  I used to hate this utility framing but it seems to be useful the longer I work with it. Keep in mind I have been very skeptical of utility functions. Otoh, the convexity helps in evaluating jumps and variance in spending, esp when it is to the south...


When I go thru all my paces, this is what I get



Hmpf... So what is that? Looks like low threes for me right now if I am hyper conservative but up to low 6s if I keep a weather eye on my portfolio while bobbing and weaving with the financial weather year by year...with, no doubt, a totally different answer coming up next year, TBD. Right now I am leaning towards the conservative side of this. Inflation and recession, in theory, shouldn't change things if we assume: a) mean reversion in inflation processes, and b) that the recession that might come is just a recession (i.e. part of the planned variance) and not some kind of a "regime change" where all of our assumptions coming out of the 20th century might fall like a flimsy line of weak dominoes. 







-------- notes ----------------------------------------

[1] Here is what happens when I code. I write some random code that is small and tractable and useful. Then I wonder "I wonder what X would look like..."  So I add some more code. Then, 6 or 10 posts later, after I have added all sorts of crap, I have something that even I can't even read (and I comment a lot, a habit from my tech days), that breaks every time I run it, and is extremely fragile and hard to manage... and slow. It is sometimes like an old house: often a bulldozer can be the best medicine. Which is what I do for the next round.  

7 comments:

  1. Totally recognise your code life cycle - IMO there is a huge difference between using simulation s/w to understand things and producing production level deliverable stuff. Well, at least there used to be. I say this because during the pandemic some really rough stuff came to market; and I reckon that the concept of minimally viable was pushed to the extreme. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

    Is the ratio of constant to adaptive for "my params" typical - I asks as at first glance this seems like a large absolute difference, for example 30k or 64k per annum per 1m?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does seem a bit much doesn't it? Let's call it a modeling artifact or something. The % of P approach is probably always going to be higher but me? I can't do it. This year I'd maybe have to cut what? 20%? That's harder than it sounds. Also, would I raise my spending 20% just because the model says? Nah, no way. Maybe give my kids a little extra or do some philanthropy or something but I am still reserving for future risk myself. I guess I am closer to constant...ish. Also, the longevity weighting obscures the diminution of the portfolio and lifestyle at say 30-40 years with 6+%. So what was 10k in real %P spending becomes 5k but the longevity weighting of close to zero makes that disappear. I mean it'd make the spend crash from a constant spend more or less disappear too, so idk. I guess it depends on how we think of longevity probabilities or something. TBD. But yeah, the ratio seems large to me too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the super rapid response. A 100% uplift for using an adaptive approach just seems too high to me.

      Delete
    3. I just roll with what the software says sometimes just to learn what it is saying. After a decade of doing this some of the answers turn out to be a bit of a joke, tho. One of my analytic friends was mystified that after all this quant stuff I mostly just wing it off a balance sheet and income statement, but that's what I do, give or take. This has become more a hobbyist thing more than anything else which is not to be 100% dismissive of the insights to be gleaned. I think getting a gut feel of the "process" is helpful. Not sure I am all the way there yet...

      Delete
  2. P.S. you might find this interview of Ed Thorp by Tim Ferris earlier this week interesting (adverts occupy c. the first 4 minutes):
    https://rss.art19.com/episodes/28e416df-0e43-4347-8e52-bb792bc23db7.mp3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed is a king. Listening now. Glad he is still around

      Delete
    2. He riffs on the boundaries with a longish discussion of the 2% to 4% range. Seems about right. I mean, at age 95 your spending can be pretty high but that's a hard age

      Delete