Sep 16, 2018

In a parallel universe...

In a parallel universe this moment has always existed and will continue to exist into an infinite future. That idea pleases me.

maybe 10-11 years ago

Also, in case any reader is wondering, this is why I "retired" early. There was absolutely nothing related to the FIRE movement whatsoever about my choice. I had been taking full time (24 hours a day solo, 5 days a week) care of these children of mine for many years before 2008.  When I (we) went through a move and a divorce in '08, given the presence of a constructively involved co-parent who also either traveled or worked intensely, I felt compelled to to maintain continuity of care for them (i.e., retire) for a while to keep young minds sane and focused.  That I was 50 at the time was irrelevant (except that I now know the risk...hence, the blog). One of the most beautiful sentences I've ever heard in life was a now-adult child say to me: "I know what you did for us..."

No comments:

Post a Comment