Feb 10, 2017

My money machine problem [updated 2/12]

This post is a question for anyone that can help me answer it.  I no longer have access to professors, colleagues, staff, teaching assistants etc. so I'm not sure how to get at this and while I've been asking around I still can't figure it out myself yet.  The money machine metaphor is a cover for dividend  investing in retirement but since the word dividend can trigger some people I'm hiding that word for now.

The Machine.

Let's say I buy two money machines for $100 each.  The machine itself is basically free but there is $100 inside each.  Each year the money machine prints a dollar. One machine prints it and stores it inside while the other machine prints it out and I put it in my pocket.  At the end of N years I get to open each machine and keep whatever I still have a claim to plus whatever I have in my pocket at which point the machine is broken and worthless. 

The Process. 

Each year, I forgot to mention, it costs me $1 in electricity to run the machine.  At the beginning of year 1 my two machines are each worth $100.  At the end of year 1 each are worth $101 if you include the dollar in my pocket. If electricity were free, both would be worth $102 at the end of year 2 but in year 1 through N I have to pay for my electricity.  I pay for machine 2's electricity with the dollar it printed. For machine 1, I sell to my neighbor a fractional share of the machine worth a dollar and I use that to pay for the electricity it uses.  So far my money machines, like my children, are loved equally. Both have created a dollar of value I can use.   

Then, in year 2, we do the same thing all over except that now, while my electricity is still a dollar and machine 2 delivers me a dollar and machine 1 can deliver me a dollar by my selling another fraction, the value of machine 1 is now something closer to $99.99 (post consumption) because I no longer own 100% of the machine which I have partially sold which means I also diluted my claim to 100% of the dollars that the machine prints and stores.  Now, unlike my relationship to my children, I clearly prefer machine 2.  I sell machine 1 to my neighbor -- he can do with it what he wants -- and if machine 2 were not merely breaking even I'd probably buy another machine 2.

The Question. 

Where am I going wrong on this? Am I naively mis-modeling? Economic and finance theory and an awful lot of papers and articles are pretty insistent that I should be indifferent between the machines where here I clearly love machine 1 less than machine 2 (all else being equal).  My best guess is that the difference in value between the two machines in any given year other than year 1 is something like


[1]



where S0 is original shares owned at the outset, Sn gets lower due to consumption selling and D0 is the original claim on the dividend (I mean money-machine output) but I might be wrong here. I'm not really a math guy.  

Making it More Real?

Also, to properly carry the metaphor I should probably make machine 1 treat the retained dollar worse than I would, maybe squandering some of it on something going on inside the machine I can't see or control that has no value to me. In addition, once the town I live in sees me making dollars from my machines they will want a piece of that, a little different for each machine, to help pay for the mayor's pension because he keeps me safe from marauding neighbors even though the $100 I used to buy each machine used to be $200 before the mayor took some of that, too.

-------------------------------------

Update - 2/12/2017 Link to "Two Responses to My Money Machine Question"



Links
-----------------------------------------

Episode #28: “There is Literally No Logical Reason for Anyone to Have a Preference for Dividends” mebfaber.com

The Dividend Disconnect, Hartzmark and Solomon, UofC and USC. 

Modigliani–Miller theorem, wiki. 


notes
------------------------------------------------
[1] I probably got the notation wrong, too. It's supposed to be the sum of the results at each n along the way after year 1.  I'll ask my daughter again to write it for me.  Also I haven't figured out how year 1 works into all of this since the Portf values of the two "machines" are equal in year 1.  Whatever, the general question still stands...


No comments:

Post a Comment