Sep 21, 2021

Shapes and Flow

Comment from feedback: no one needs this post. It is just a weird flourish...

I never really set out to find specific answers when I embarked on my finance mission back in 2012. I was just curious about stuff...and ticked off at my grubby advisor. What I really did want was to be able to see what I call the "shape and flow" of retirement.  So, here is a fun "shape and flow" I was surprised to see, mostly because I never looked for it. It is the shape of consumption utility over time when considering the possibility of wealth depletion. Let's look at it like this in simulation mode:

  • Each life (row) in the simulation has 100 periods (columns)
  • the sim has 5000 lives it lives
  • The spend rate (say 4%) continues until wealth fails then it drops to practically zero
  • For each life, in each year (i.e., column) the spend -- either .04 (or whatever rate I was using for this illustration) or alternatively "near-zero" -- is 1) wrapped into CRRA utility [1], 2) weighted by a conditional survival probability [2], and 3) given a utile time preference discount of .005 [3]
  • Thus, there are 5000 rows and 100 columns of weighted, discounted, utiles of consumption
 If I were to chart that last bullet point, it'd look like this: 

Figure 1. weighted, discounted utility of consumption

The odd shape comes mostly from a) the utility math, b) the failed paths where wealth runs out and spending drops to near zero, and c) the diminishing probability of surviving.  The latter (conditional survival probability for a 68yo(?), for certain Gompertz parameters) looks like this so you can see what happens to relative likelihood, or the "weight" at years 0->40ish:
Figure 2. Conditional Survival, Gompertz model

In Figure 1:
  • The top line of the "mass" is the consumption (weighted utility of) that never gets smoked by a wealth fail.
  • The "drop lines" are the ones where wealth eventually fails and spending (U) falls to near-zero
  • The rising bottom line is the effect of both the weighting and discounting
If one were to take this further, which I do, one would calculate the expected discounted utility of lifetime consumption by way of the following
  • sum each line
  • average the sums
  • and, I guess, compare to other portfolios and spend rates. Not done here
Why did I do this post? No idea really but I though the shape was rather cool. I'm guessing the shape has no real practical purpose for anyone but me. When I look at it, sure I see some kind of Retirement Finance "shape and flow," but I also see 
  • A hummingbird, or maybe
  • a Japanese crane
The "aesthetics of quantitative retirement finance." That kind of thing is a market of one, I think. Heh.



---------------------Notes ---------------------------

[1] [C^(1-gamma)]/(1-gamma) or ln(C) if gamma = 1. If I recall, I am using an arbitrary gamma=1.5.

[2]  {exp(exp((x-m)/b)*(1-exp(t/b)))}

[3]  1/(1+.005)^t

6 comments:

  1. Will,
    Not sure I have followed exactly what you have done here.
    For some reason your article brings to my mind the paper Spending Retirement on Planet Vulcan: The Impact of Longevity Risk Aversion on Optimal Withdrawal Rates by Milevsky et al, and in particular its conclusion that it could be considered rational to plan to spend most at the outset of retirement, which has always felt slightly counter-intuitive to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured this would be meaningful to no one but me. In calculating consumption utility in a new piece of software I was constructing I dumped a working table and plotted it (Fig 1) and thought it looked weird/cool. Means little except as a shape although it underlies the calculation one would see in one of Yaari's scenarios ('65). On your last point, the early consumption, that is counterintuitive isn't it? If there is lifetime income that covers spending late in life, the mortality weighting which approaches zero somewhere around 95 or so will not penalize a crash in spending to income then as much as it would without income. Then, because consumption util is additive over life, the sum will favor consumption that will deplete wealth well before death rather than reserve so that one can run out of wealth on death day. Milevsky, LaChance, Leung and others write on this in the context of the LCM rather than in a purely finance perspective. My reinforcement learning algo taught itself this when I added life income. Not sure if I am making sense. All this is just one way of interpreting things; plenty of other ways.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your thoughts re early consumption. The key word in my comment may be "felt" ie I understand the maths, but .... I suspect it may be something to do with probability being fine for a representative sample but at an individual level the probability is a delta function, i.e. one whilst alive, and zero otherwise - hence using a generalised sample probability which cannot be lived/felt by the individual "feels" odd to me at least.
      Dying with Zero is fine in concept but somewhat trickier to action.
      Agree that life income is v important - but again people baulk at purchasing it.
      Behavioural economics may well have a lot going for it?

      Delete
    3. Got it. In my personal case, I read once that no matter how hard you try there is a little bit of a physical cliff at around 80. That means I have 17 years of vigorous life to live fully. Early in my retirement I was a little spooked. Now I want to life my life and will front load consumption with or without an annuity. Landing it on the numbers at 90 or 100 or 105 will be impossible. Idk whether I'll buy income or not. TBD

      Delete
    4. My current plan is to start the main part of my life income (DB scheme) in a few years.
      I could have started it a few years ago (albeit significantly reduced), but - by my calcs - this will be a sweet spot. I appreciate that I am lucky to have the DB. I also strongly suspect that once I start my DB my attitude to a whole load of other ret fin things may alter somewhat too. Time will tell.

      Delete