Jan 1, 2017

A Preliminary Look at Optimizing Equity Allocations for Spending Shocks

I realize that: A) simulators need to be taken, for a lot of reasons, with a big fat grain of salt, no matter who designs or runs them, and B) mine has an assortment of idiosyncratic design assumptions that might get some derisory treatment from researchers or practitioners, but…I thought this was interesting.  The chart below uses a grab bag of not completely realistic input assumptions (not to mention the design assumptions again) -- that I won't regurgitate here -- that include a mash-up of some of my own data as well as some generic hypotheticals…so that this is probably not very practical in terms of being extensible to anyone anywhere. But for the design and assumptions I did use it looks like it might be fair to  conclude that an expectation of some reasonable probability of a spending shock[1] might require (if one has not reserved capital for the possibility, I guess) nudging equity allocations a little higher…again, for this hybrid set of assumptions only.  At some point I'll run this either on me or a more consistently generic and robust set of assumptions and seen what happens.  


-------------------
[1] in this particular case, one that I was just using to shake out some software testing stuff,  the toggle variable was adding a 5% chance of a (3 x initial spend) shock to any given sim-year.  



No comments:

Post a Comment