Jan 6, 2018

A different, non-finance retirement analysis - for me

Florida is not what I consider home and for a variety of reasons Minnesota is currently off the table. Since my children will age out of my care relatively soon, home will be wherever I decide it is.  That, if and when I make it happen, for better or worse, will be west.  I have no idea where my daughters will end up after college so I'm thinking I want to be not only "west" but somewhere within two hours of a large or at least medium sized hub airport.  I have some specific ideas about where that will be but just for fun I thought I'd open it up a little bit just to see what the scope of the problem is.  So here were some first level screening criteria before we even get to things like state selection, taxes, specific cities/towns, health care availability, services, walk-ability, cultural amenities, etc etc:

- Within something like 2 hours (65 mph) of a decent sized hub airport
- Hub defined as > 400k enplanements (2014-2015 data)
- West of the 100th meridian
- South of Canada
- North of Mexico but effectively north of Phoenix
- East of the Pacific but ex-California

When you do this screen on a radius mapping tool like https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-can-i-travel.htm it looks like the map I created below.  I have not listed target locations I just wanted to see what the criteria above looked like on the map.  The airport cities that sorted up from the criteria include: Denver, Colorado Springs, Billings, Bozeman, Boise, Spokane, Seattle, Portland, Eugene, Reno, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Albuquerque. I realize this leaves out a number of pretty good regional airports but that is the next level for some other day and it will take a little work. Personally I'd like to throw something like Eagle-Vail or Durango in there but that is another story.   The blue lines are a rough approximation for 2 hours drive at 65mph.  In Montana maybe I could up that to 100mph. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment