May 3, 2018

Powerful audio: family oral history on Vietnam war and the student movement

This is awesome stuff. Very powerful and worthy of something like NPRs Storycorps or some other professional podcast.  The kicker is that she's only 16 and this is a first effort (school project). My talented daughter of course.  This is editing artistry at its very best and a tour de force of composition.  I am not biased, of course.

Her project was to do first-person interviews on the Vietnam war and the student movement.  My daughter chose to interview her three uncles and me.  The interesting part about that choice was that the four of us as a group spanned the entire history of what went on and all of us had different experiences of and interaction with what was going on at that time.  Birth dates ranged from 1947 to 1958.  I was mesmerized by her integration of voiced family history.  I was also impressed that the editing genius was not to do just a bland concatenation of four interviews but to edit and splice the affinities of commentary themes and then to layer on thematically coherent music as a background overlay.  If I needed audio I know whom I would hire in a heartbeat. Try it out.

Podcast: family oral history of Vietnam war era and the student movement - a project

Somebody let me know if the link doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment