Aug 28, 2017

Visualizing Sequence of Returns Risk

This is from a few past posts I did on withdrawal rate analysis. Any references or credits can be found there.  I hope I got this right but if I didn't (my skills at notation are pretty limited) the basic idea is the same.  This shows visually how sequence of returns risk can affect the success of a withdrawal rate.  I did this for myself to be able to see it and I thought I'd pass it along.




Note - this is true for "one path" of particular spending of course but sometimes it shows better if one sims it out about 10,000 times in which case you get a distribution of withdrawals.  The "sequence challenged" withdrawal rates would be on the left side of each distribution:


Since one never knows which path one will get in real life, one generally has to plan for that left side.

No comments:

Post a Comment