Nov 21, 2016

On Being Careful - Dividends, Part 2

I wanted to take one more look at this question of dividends that I started to address in a previous post On Being Careful… .   And it is not because I am a partisan of dividends or because I wholly buy the party line of dividend-growth-ers. In my calmer moments I still feel that total return is a game to aspire to especially if one has very long timeframes and does not have a large spending requirement, requirements that if turned the other way around might actually give me pause when contemplating concepts like MPT and total return .  I want to take a look at this again because the "emphatic absoluteness" of the statement by an industry expert (“there is literally no logical reason for anyone to have a preference for dividends”) is still ringing in my ears.  

I find that "emphatic absoluteness," in any domain, often requires scrutiny for no other reason than it deserves it.  I have spent more than 30 years in the company of smart, ambitious, competitive, and sometimes authoritative men (and women too but they are usually -- not always but usually -- better at a nuanced discussion than men).  A love for "emphatic absoluteness" in conversation seems like it is pervasive, if not universal, amongst this cohort. At age 23 one might be forgiven for capitulation to things like "proof by intimidation" because, well because it sounds so convincing at the time and at that age one has so little context or experience or knowledge or authority of one's own before one even gets to the topic of confidence.  But now? Now, looking back over my own 30-plus years? I have to ask myself: how often have those guys been just blowing their own smoke behind which is nothing but an empty and self-regarding swagger?  More times than I can count.  Maybe all of them all of the time.  I learned this lesson early but probably not early enough. 

It's not just that overly-self-confident and be-plumed wrongness can sometimes irk me or that it tends to close debate and bias the discussion in favor of the speaker, it's that it evinces a serious lack of imagination and leaves just a few too many eddies of missed opportunity in its wake.  In the case of the dividend discussion at hand, where in the past post I leaned on generalities, here I wanted to get more specific. Since the statement I'm reacting to was “there is literally no logical reason for anyone to have a preference for dividends” I felt overwhelmingly obligated to come up with at least one logical reason for a preference.  In fact, with a few minutes of thought, I came up with five.  For now.

Part of the discussion of dividends -- in the interview in question in the previous post -- addressed the idea that a portfolio of non dividend payers can be found that will beat dividend payers. I believe that that is absolutely true.  But for that to be relevant to the statement "there is literally no…" or be a proof of it, it would have to have zero selection bias and be universally and pervasively and persistently true.  I mean I could pick myself 10 dividend payers that would beat 10 non-payers (for sure after the fact).  It's all in the selection, right?  I suspect there was quite a bit more rigor applied than that to this concept by the person that made the claim, I just haven't read his research…but you get the point. The other part of the discussion stressed the idea that dividends have no theoretical advantage because an investor can replicate them by selling shares.  That is quite true too, up to and not beyond a particular point.  But that, in and of itself, even when true, still does not get us to the level of "there is literally no…"  because one would have to systematically identify and then systematically eliminate all past, current, and future possible reasons for a preference held by anyone in any situation ever.  That's a pretty big bite to chew off…if not completely impossible.

For my part, here are my thoughts on five situations where I might actually have a preference.  There are no doubt more than that but it's all I've got right now:

1. Pure Form Doppelgangers.  If I did the math right[1], if one were to have a pure and hypothetical instrument that retains a dividend right along side its exact doppelganger that pays one, and then one adds a portfolio spending requirement over time, then, all else equal, the outcome of a portfolio using the dividend retainer would have a slight disadvantage over time to a different copy portfolio that uses the payer…as far as I can tell.  It took me a while to figure this out since I haven't been in school for so many decades but the portfolio that uses the dividend retainer loses a little ground in years 2+ in proportion to the dilution of the claim on the dividend caused by the slow bit-by bit divestiture of shares. In year 2 of n, for example, the outcome of the two portfolios looks like it is different by D*((S2/S0)-1) where D=dividend, S2=shares at beginning of period 2, and S0 is the beginning # shares at the start at beginning of year 1).  So, if I got this right, then it's not just that "there is literally no logical reason…" it's that in this unique and rarefied and unrealistic case, one would always prefer a dividend!  But…these kind of doppelgangers don't exist in nature or are rare as far as I know so maybe this point is a tiny bit moot.  That and the fact that one could not likely build a diversified portfolio with these wraiths. A "logical reason?" Maybe. I think so for the purposes of this post.

2. Retirement Finance Theory.  The presence of things like a spending requirement, finite time-frames, sequence of returns uncertainty, longevity uncertainty, legacy requirements, etc. changes the game for retirees from standard finance theory and Modern Portfolio Theory to something else.  Even Markowitz, Thaler, and Sharpe conceded that point, each in their own way.  In particular, sequence of returns risk means that a portfolio might favor something like a dividend, all else being equal.  That last qualifier is important, of course, but the point is that in the presence of a bad sequence of returns, not having to liquidate shares at really bad times has a distinct advantage. Dividends can provide some of that lift.  Now it is still true that a portfolio of non-dividend payers can be found that trounces payers even when sequence risk is realized but then the burden is on you to both help identify the exact sub-universes of instruments you are talking about and say by how much it out-performs and whether that out-performance is enough to take away all of the advantage of the payer…when there is spending and sequence risk.  In practice, I think one would first use Social Security, annuities, pensions, bonds, and part time work to mitigate sequence risk (not to mention the psychological anxiety over total-shortfall risk) before using a dividend paying equity but I would argue that dividend payers have a role here too especially since they can also contribute to maintaining future purchasing power.  Is this a "logical reason" for a dividend preference? You may not be convinced but I am. At least I tried to come up with a reason. 

3. Alternative/Commodity Exposure.  David Swensen, of Yale Endowment fame, in his book "Pioneering Portfolio Management" makes the case that in managing a portfolio that has exposure to commodities -- for it's diversifying effects and ability to nudge portfolio efficiency "up and to the left" -- one should almost always have a logical preference for commodity exposure that pays you rather than mere exposure to the commodity itself.  Think oil companies rather than oil futures, for example.  Similar risk exposure and similar portfolio effects, but you get paid by one of them.  I was going to try to find the page citation but I couldn't find my copy of the book and I probably would have been too lazy to dig around if I had. All of this may be closer to the proof-by-intimidation that I decried earlier but when addressing the "there is literally no…" statement, then I find that Mr. Swensen's argument does give me at least another plausible reason for a dividend preference.  I realize that this is not exactly the retainer vs payer kind of thing, but again, at least I made the effort to come up with "one reason" for a dividend preference.  In any case, I'll lean on Swensen's credibility for this point. He was persuasive enough that I did what he suggested myself.    

4. Trading Systems. Let's say, hypothetically, that we had a person that works with trading systems[2].  That person knows that the trading success formula is: "Trading Success" is a function of: a) risk-return and b) the probability of that return.  Let's say further that this person's particular combination of solid risk-return control and pretty crummy if not fatally flawed "probability-finding" skills will yield somewhere around a zero expectancy inside that formula.  Then, in that case, that particular person might, in fact, have a preference for a dividend paying instrument.  He or she would know that a system that can fight consistently over to time to zero after trading costs (ignore taxes for now) -- while it has not eliminated risk to zero it has gone pretty far down that road -- when that system then feathers an instrument that pays a dividend into the system's process, then that system now has an edge in the amount of the dividend and it, the system, should probably be exploited and scaled. If, as well, the expectancy could be nudged over zero before the dividend, then even better.  This is hypothetical but it would be a demonstrably logical reason for a dividend preference.  Again, this is nothing more than making an effort to come up with at least one reason to have a dividend preference.  Whether it is compelling or not depends on the reader. 

5. The Airline Rationale.  Let's ignore time value and compounding for a second.  If I own a $100 stock that pays 4%, I get $100 back in 25 years.  If it goes bankrupt in year 26, I have at least the $100 in dividends.  I realize this type of argument is not necessarily resting on good financial theory, and time value and compounding would bend the conversation, but...  The "but" comes from the fact that I spent the end of the 1980s and the early 1990s doing managing consulting for the airlines.  I spent a lot of time at or with Northwest, Continental, United, Air Canada, Delta, and US Air.  This was a period of or just after a lot of financial instability and bankruptcies.  I remember sitting in the office of the Air Canada CFO, Paul Brotto.  He patiently explained to us unwashed Americans why payback metrics, the ones reviled in graduate business programs around the world, were used at the airlines.  His point was that when bankruptcies loom all around you, left and right, past and future: while Net Present Value might be a really cool kid on the block, payback is cooler.   Do I have a logical reason to prefer a dividend payer as a risk mitigator? Maybe you don't but I just might. 

None of the above is an attempt to make the case that dividends are perfect or better than anything else in all situations[3].  In the real hurly-burly of the world it depends on who and when and where and how they are used.  My point is that I think there are enough real or imagined reasons for special cases where there actually and really is a preference for a dividend that it is not logical at all to say that “there is literally no logical reason for anyone to have a preference for dividends.”  Me? At least I tried.


--------------------------------------------


[1] I'm not so sure I got it right here.  I'm having a CFA take a look but that is pending. While I'm waiting, if you happen to know this stuff and want to beat this point down, send me a note and I'll post it as a guest blogger post. 

[2] A person that might look uncomfortably like me.

[3] Buffet, btw, doesn't like to pay dividends but he is also an institutional investor with infinite time frames.  I think if he were honest with himself and contemplated the universe from the point of view of a retiree with finite money, uncertain longevity, spending needs, and unpredictable return series he might reconsider.  I'll end there because in any article I read, when the name Buffet is used, I usually stop reading because his name is so often invoked for ill-informed or even insidious reasons that informed and open minded discussion usually ends there as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment